If you live in or are visiting Northampton, Massachusetts this summer, there won’t be a shortage of things to do. And if you’re one of the millions of Americans feeling stressed about everything from the Russian invasion of Ukraine to inflation prices, it makes sense to center your summer activities around physical and mental wellness. Here are some ideas for fun, relaxation, and rejuvenation:
- Blueberry picking. Western Massachusetts has a wealth of scenic farms that allow you to get some fresh air and soak up the sun during a leisurely session of blueberry picking. Farms in Northampton proper include Pie in the Sky Berry Farm, Town Farm, and Little Wren Farm.
- Musante Beach. Musante Beach is situated on a reservoir just minutes away from town. Here you can spend a peaceful, restorative afternoon swimming, people-watching, picnicking or enjoying a good book
- Outdoor concerts. Thursdays are lawn concert days at the Civic Center in nearby Florence and Williamsburg, and on Fridays you can enjoy the mellow sounds of East Hampton’s Arts in the Park summer concert series.
- Thornes Marketplace. Thornes Marketplace in downtown Northampton is a hub of unique shops, restaurants, and wellness service providers. Getting a massage and high-quality health foods and supplements or taking a yoga class can get you in good shape for tackling the work week.
- Smith College Museum of Art. If you need a break from the outdoors, you can feast your eyes and feed your mind on over 27,000 pieces of art at the Smith College Museum of Art in Northampton. You can find summer and ongoing exhibits here.
- Smith College Botanic Garden. There are few experiences more soothing than a stroll through a garden, and the Smith College Botanic Garden has some exceptional ones. Explore a rock garden, perennial border garden, desert garden, and Japanese garden
- Tai Chi Retreat. From July 9-16, 2022, you can take a Tai Chi Vacation with the Tai Chi Foundation for a week of fun, learning, self-care, and exploration for people of all skill levels. It will also be held at Smith College, and you can register here.
The Tai Chi Foundation (TCF) is a not-for-profit educational organization that promotes, funds and teaches programs that enable people to learn Tai Chi Chuan and embody its principles.
Join us for a Tai Chi Vacation this summer! We will be holding summer programs in Northampton, Massachusetts, US Saturday, July 9 – Saturday, July 16, 2022, and in Cheltenham, UK on Sunday July 31 – Saturday August 6, 2022.
The Tai Chi Foundation’s mission is to improve health, well-being, and awareness through the study, practice, and teaching of Tai Chi and Qigong by an increasing number of people worldwide. Check out our course offerings for self-healing and balance. Sign up for our newsletter for updates on upcoming classes and events.
There are over 200 TCF-affiliated instructors teaching Tai Chi classes in 30 cities around the world. Find a class in your area, become a member, and support TCF in making the world a healthier and more mindful place today.
By External Affairs Committee
Tai Chi Foundation © 2022